Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Thailand...

We're going on our second full day in Bangkok and last night I woke up WIDE-awake out of nowhere at 3:45am. The jetlag is apparently so bad even Ericka is awake at 8:30am - and for anyone who knows her - you know that's a miracle:)

Anyway, it's great to be back here - the sights, the sounds, the smells all seem so familiar. I think it still hasn't sunk in yet that we just moved here - well at least for the next 3 and a half months!

OK, so you folks out there who know me know how I am with dates. I have this uncanny ability to remember exact dates of life-altering events in my life, as well as random, seemingly unimportant times as well.

We left for Thailand this past Tuesday - January 18th. If just so happen that on January 18th, 2009, Ericka and me left the south and moved to Michigan. Two years to the day. We did not plan this, it just turned out to be the time we could book our flight at the cheapest fare.

Why is this significant? Because we have always had this sense God was saying "two years" in Michigan. Plus, it's interesting to look back two years ago at ALL the unknowns in front of us at the time. We were moving to a town we had NEVER seen, not to mention we were engaged and planning a wedding. I was starting a new job with the World Race, and on top of all that - I was still getting used to being back in the states.

Its nuts when we look back on it. (We really were crazy:) We did all that because we felt it was the direction God was leading us. Believe me, there were times we were like, "What the heck God?!" But the cool part is, after all the tough times, unmet expectations and struggles - we are better for it! Don't get me wrong; we've had some victories, and some real blessings. But, I think it is fair to say that the last two years have been hard - especially for Ericka. You see, you can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl:)

Being in Michigan though birthed the opportunity we are now following. The trials and tests have only strengthened our marriage. We serve each other better, speak to each other kinder, love each other more unconditionally and work together more effectively. Our inexpensive rent, which is a HUGE blessing, allowed us to front some of our own funds to start the Sound of Hope.

And that brings us to January 18th, 2011. More unknowns, more questions, but I'm convinced that as God showed up for us in Michigan - He will show up in our work here in Thailand. Now, I get there will be struggles, but I have this uncanny feeling that we are about to encounter some really cool God stuff.

If anything my time in Michigan has taught me that.

4 comments:

  1. Dude - I'm so friggin' jacked for you and Ericka! I hope to see y'all in Thailand, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear you made it to Thailand safely! Love you guys and praying! See you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is gonna "bless your socks off" and you will be a blessing to those you meet there.
    Give our kids and Maile a big hug from us.
    Laurette and Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. das cool that you guys are over there.
    i'll try to keep up with the blogs.

    blessings to you guys,

    -ryanstewart

    ReplyDelete