Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Saying Goodbye - More than Imagined

I miss it already - Chiang Mai.

And I haven't even left the country yet. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I get back to the US.

Unfortunately though, this season is coming to a close, quickly!

The past week or so has been NUTS! Here's a quick look back:

Exactly a week ago today, Ericka and I celebrated our 2-year anniversary by attending Hebrew and Shernaagay's wedding in Mae Sariang. Hebrew overseas the children's home we support in the refugee camp. Click HERE and HERE for more info on The Refuge. He is a Thai citizen, but he gave up those rights to live in the camp so he could take care of the Karen kids who are running from persecution in Burma. You see Hebrew is Karen people, but he happened to be born in Thailand. So he doesn't have to be here in the camp, BUT he CHOOSES to be. He chooses to lay down his rights as a Thai citizen so that he can serve others in need.

He's a Philippians 2 man! (Remember, God gave up his rights as God and became a poor, ole boy born into complete poverty in a remote corner of the Roman Empire.)

Hebrew's new bride Shernaagay, is Karen too, BUT she was born in Burma. She lives in Thailand now legally. However, her mom and dad are still in Burma. They walked SEVEN DAYS through the jungle and the threat of the Burmese army to be at their daughter's wedding. SEVEN DAYS!!!

Ericka and I were HONORED to be there. In fact, Ericka got the privilege of doing Shernaagay's hair and make-up! Ericka also made Shernaagay's rose crown.

As you can see my wife did a fantastic job!





Here's a quick little video of the two walking out after being pronounced husband and wife.


The next day we said good-bye to Pastor Ban Ya and his wife Rapee. It was so good to see them again, and it was an honor to be able to funnel THOUSANDS of dollars in to their ministry project over the last three months. These are great people, and they'll make great "moms and dads" to the kids they will take in once their children's home is finished.

Pastor and Rapee doing what they do best - HAVING FUN!
That night we packed up our tiny condo in Chiang Mai and the next day we left for Pattaya. BUT not before a good-bye breakfast with Ray, Candace and Mark. I can't begin to tell ya'll how good it's been to be able to spend the last three months with these people. Ray and I met in 2007 on my first World Race, and there has always been a connection between the two of us. He, his wife Candace and their daughter Maile are good folks. They are the ones doing the hard work of living this thing out cross-culturally. They will be life-long friends and partners!


It was also great to be with Mark. Mark and I did the World Race together back in 2008. He fell in love with the Wards and Karen people too. He now lives and serves full-time in this country. It's been a pleasure watching him walk into the call God has placed on his life. It's good stuff.

I will miss all these people terribly. I already do.


After breakfast we jumped in our SWEET twin turbo diesel Mercedes Benz and took off! Yes, that's right - our BENZ:) Well, not technically, my cousin Sam called me one day and said, "I want you to come down to Pattaya and pick up my Benz. It's like a caged tiger - it's just not happy unless it's going 140kph."

OBVIOUSLY, I couldn't let him down:) So this is what I've been driving for the last month of my trip here. This thing is AWESOME!!!! It ANNIHILATES the road - absolutely chews it up! And it does all this while getting close to 40 miles per gallon!! Diesel is the way to go, especially here in Thailand where it's actually cheaper because the government subsidizes it. Either way, I'm in deep mourning over the fact I have to go back to the US and drive our ten-year old used cars:(




We finished off this insanely crazy and busy week - well, really a crazy and busy 3 months - with 3 days of rest at Koh Samet.

This place was a huge blessing and gift from our Thai friend Thida. Check out this view. Ericka and I literally crashed out for 3 days, barely finding time to eat, and hang out by the beach.



So now here we are back in Pattaya spending our last three days working, packing and hanging out with my cousin Sam.

I cannot believe we will be back in Michigan on Thursday!

God has blessed us and our ministry partners so much on this trip. I'm afraid when I get home and look back on it, it won't feel real - it'll feel more like a dream. It's just been that kind of trip - abundantly more than I ever could have imagined - EVER!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask for or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..." -Esphesians 3:20

Yep, sounds about right.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! It's been a pleasure keeping up with you guys and the beginings of your ministry.

    Love it that you went to Kosemet! Did you go my favorite massage place? Go 4 wheeling again?

    ReplyDelete